Sep 30, 2020 10:15 PM IST | Source: Moneycontrol.com
Babri Masjid Demolition Case: CBI judge Surendra Kumar Yadav said there was no evidence to prove that the demolition was premeditated and that there was no evidence to prove involvement of all the accused including LK Advani, MM Joshi, Uma Bharti and Kalyan Singh.
A special CBI court in Lucknow, on September 30, delivered its verdict in the 1992 Babri Masjid demolition case involving 32 accused, including BJP veterans LK Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi, Uma Bharti, Kalyan Singh and Vinay Katiyar. All the 32 accused have been acquitted in the case for want of evidence, almost 28 years after the 16th-century mosque in Uttar Pradesh’s Ayodhya town was razed by a mob sparking communal riots. In the verdict, CBI judge Surendra Kumar Yadav said there was no evidence to prove that the demolition was pre-planned. The accused, including Advani, Joshi, Bharti and Singh attended the proceedings through video conference due to the coronavirus pandemic. The Babri Masjid was demolished on December 6, 1992 by “kar sevaks” who claimed it was built on the site of ancient Ram Temple. Last year, Supreme Court of India settled the land dispute over the site allowing construction of Ram Temple. The top court also directed that an alternative site be allotted near the temple for construction of a mosque. The ground-breaking function for the temple was held on August 5 in presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Catch the highlights here :