TIMESOFINDIA.COM | Updated: Sep 13, 2020, 21:25 IST
NEW DELHI: The coronavirus vaccine might be ready by the first quarter of 2021, Union health and family welfare minister Harsh Vardhan said on Sunday. “While no date has been fixed for the vaccine launch, it may be ready by the first quarter of 2021,” he said. He added he will be happy to take the first shot of the vaccine in case there is any trust deficit.
Harsh Vardhan also said that the government is considering emergency authorisation of Covid-19 vaccination to senior citizens and people working in high-risk settings.
Here are the top developments:
- The government on Sunday issued a fresh set of instructions for people who have recovered from Covid-19, which includes suggestions like going on morning walks, eating Chyawanprash and doing
Yoga. The suggestions have been issued amid rising instances of recovered patients returning to hospitals for post-Covid care.
- India has recorded more than 1 million Covid-19 infections in the first 12 days of September amid an unprecedented surge of the
pandemicin the country. The country has also reported 13,082 deaths during this period. The country’s death toll in September is also the world’s highest so far, with both the US and Brazil having recorded around 10,000 fatalities each this month.
- A total of 37,02,595 people have recuperated from Covid-19 in the country so far, with 58 per cent of the recovered cases being reported from Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Uttar Pradesh, the Centre said on Sunday. The same five states account for 60 per cent of total 9,73,175 active cases in the country.
- India’s Covid-19 tally of cases sprinted past 47 lakh with 94,372 new infections being reported in a day, while 37,02,595 people have recuperated taking the national recovery rate to 77.88 per cent on Sunday, according to the Union health ministry data. The total
coronaviruscases mounted to 47,54,356, while the death toll climbed to 78,586 with 1,114 people succumbing to the infection in a span of 24 hours
- Eight of the 10 imported Covid-19 cases reported in Singapore came from India, the country’s health ministry said on Sunday. Two of those eight were Singaporeans and five permanent residents who returned on August 30-31. The other one was a short-term visit pass holder and a spouse of a Singaporean, who arrived from India on September 5. The other two imported patients are work pass holders
- Delhi: The Delhi government on Saturday directed 33 private hospitals to reserve 80% of their total ICU/ HDU beds for Covid-19 patients after a surge in the number of cases and the demands for ICU beds in the city. The tally of coronavirus cases in Delhi rose to 2.18 lakh on Sunday with 4,235 more people contracting the viral disease.
- Kerala: Kerala reported 3,139 new Covid-19 cases, taking the overall tally to 1,08,278 while 15 deaths pushed the toll to 439. As many as 1,855 recoveries were recorded today, while 30,072 people are presently undergoing treatment for the infection that has so far claimed 439 lives.
- J&K: Jammu and Kashmir recorded 1,686 fresh cases of Covid-19, while fourteen patients died in the last 24 hours. The total number of cases has now reached 54,096 and the death toll mounted to 878. It was for the eleventh time in as many days that the number of fresh cases has crossed 1,000 in 24 hours.
- Meghalaya: The Covid-19 death toll in Meghalaya rose to 26 with one more person succumbing to the disease, while 109 fresh cases of infection took the state’s tally to 3,724. The number of active cases in the state is now 1,623.
- Rajasthan: Though more than 70 per cent Covid-19 patients were initially found to be asymptomatic, there has been change in the trend since September 2. In cities like Jaipur, Jodhpur, Kota and Udaipur, more than 80 per cent patients have been found to be symptomatic.
- Tripura: Tripura reported record single-day spike of 12 Covid-19 fatalities, which raised the death toll to 194, while 629 fresh cases pushed the tally in the state to 18,932. Tripura, at present, has 7,584 active coronavirus cases.
- Andhra: The total number of coronavirus cases in Andhra Pradesh touched 5.67 lakh after about 46 lakh sample tests were conducted so far, with a positivity rate of 12.33 per cent. The state recorded 66 more coronavirus deaths, taking the toll to 4,912.
- Maharashtra: The Covid-19 crisis, which has claimed over 8,000 lives and affected over 1.6 lakh people in Mumbai city so far, has also stopped thousands of women from accessing abortion services.
- UP: A total of 80 more people died of Covid-19 while 6,239 tested positive for the disease in Uttar Pradesh in last 24 hours, taking the fatality toll to 4,429 and infection tally to 3,12,036 in the state. The count of active Covid-19 cases in the state stands at 68,122.
- Telangana: As international vaccine companies and academic institutions race the clock to deliver a safe Covid-19 vaccine, all eyes are on India that makes 60% of the world’s vaccines. And within India, if there is one destination that all of them are making a beeline for it is Hyderabad.
- Mizoram: Mizoram’s lone BJP legislator Budhha Dhan Chakma has tested positive for Covid-19, official sources said. He was among the 35 people who were diagnosed with coronavirus infection in the last 24 hours.
- Karnataka: A 105-year-old woman in Koppal district has successfully recovered from Covid-19, after undergoing treatment for the viral infection at her home. Kamalamma Linganagouda Hiregoudar hails from Katarki village in Koppal taluk.
- Goa: A 250-bed Covid-19 facility will start operating at the South Goa district hospital from September 19, state health minister Vishwajit Rane has said. Till Saturday, Goa reported 24,185 Covid-19 cases and 286 deaths due to the disease.
- Ladakh: The Union territory of
Ladakhrecorded one more Covid-19 related death, taking the number of fatalities in the region to 39. With detection of 66 fresh positive cases — 37 in Leh and 29 in Kargil, the virus caseload in the UT has gone up to 3,294.
- Odisha: The Covid-19 tally in Odisha rose to 1,50,807 with 3,913 more people testing positive for the disease, while 10 fresh fatalities pushed the state’s death toll to 626. The new cases were reported from all the 30 districts of the state.
- Puducherry: A total of 388 new Covid-19 cases and 15 deaths took the infection tally to 19,821 and the deaths to 385 in the Union territory. The UT also tested 4,024 samples, the highest in a single day.
- HP: Himachal Pradesh has recorded 123 new Covid-19 cases and 45 recoveries since last night. The total number of cases in the state has reached to 9,352, while there are 3,268 active cases currently in the state.
- The novel coronavirus has killed at least 921,097 people since the outbreak emerged in China last December, according to a tally from official sources compiled by AFP at 1100 GMT on Sunday. At least 28,819,490 cases of coronavirus have been registered.
- US-based pharmaceutical major Pfizer and German biotech firm BioNTech have announced to expand the enrollment of their Phase 3 Covid-19 vaccine trial to up to approximately 44,000 participants, up from an initial recruitment goal of 30,000 individuals. The companies said a conclusive result on the efficacy of the vaccine is likely by the end of October.
- Scientific experts have warned of a second wave of the coronavirus pandemic and another complete nation-wide lockdown in the UK unless stricter measures are adhered to amid a rising number of infections in the country over the past week.
- South Korea will temporarily ease coronavirus curbs in the greater Seoul area after a decline in cases, officials said. The country largely overcame an early Covid-19 surge with extensive tracing and testing, but has battled several spikes in recent weeks raising concerns of a second wave of infections.
- Nepal’s coronavirus cases inched closer to the 55,000-mark with 1,039 new cases while the death toll due to Covid-19 climbed to 345. Nepal’s coronavirus recovery rate stands at 71.5 per cent. The country’s coronavirus infection tally has reached 54,1159.
- Pakistan’s Covid-19 cases reached 301,481 after 526 new coronavirus infections were reported, the health ministry said. The country also registered six fresh Covid-19 deaths, taking the total number of fatalities to 6,379, while 534 patients are in critical condition.
- Russia has registered 5,449 Covid-19 cases in the past 24 hours, which brings the cumulative total to 1,062,811, the country’s coronavirus response centre said on Sunday. In the past 24 hours, Russia recorded 94 Covid-19 fatalities, bringing the death toll to 18,578 and 2,690 recoveries, taking the total to 876,225.
- Iranian medical scientists will soon start human trials for an anti-coronavirus vaccine after the stage of animal trials has passed, official news agency IRNA reported on Saturday.
Iran‘s confirmed Covid-19 cases hit 399,940 on Saturday, including 23,029 fatalities.
more from times of india news