Troops have disengaged in most ‘localities’, claims China

Troops have disengaged in most ‘localities’, claims China

India had in the last round of diplomatic talks on stressed the need for early and complete disengagement alon…Read More

NEW DELHI: Even as doubts remain about

Chinese withdrawal

along the LAC in Ladakh, with the process stuck in the Pangong Tso area, Beijing claimed on Tuesday that troops had disengaged in “most localities” and that the situation on the ground was easing.

India had in the last round of diplomatic talks on stressed the need for early and complete disengagement along the LAC and de-escalation in border areas. China had claimed “positive progress” in the talks. There has been vacation of friction zones and thinning in

Galwan Valley

. The spurs along Pangong lake and Depsang area remain contested.

‘Fifth round of Commander-level talks planned’

As border troops have disengaged in most localities, the situation on the ground is de-escalating and the temperature is coming down,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin said in Beijing. There was no immediate reaction from

MEA

to the Chinese claim. An agency report from Beijing quoted government sources to say India had denied it.

The Chinese assertion came in response to a query from

Global Times

based on media reports and information received from “sources”, as the journalist claimed. The journalist asked the spokesperson to confirm if it was true that disengagement had been completed in Galwan Valley, Hot Springs and Kongka Pass and that the only area left still was Pangong. The spokesperson said the two sides were currently preparing for the fifth round of commander-level talks to resolve outstanding issues on the ground.

In Video:China claims troops ‘disengaged on most locations along LAC’

Read More