TIMESOFINDIA.COM | Jun 23, 2020, 19:53 IST
NEW DELHI: As against the global average of 6.04, India has one Covid-19 death per lakh population which is one of the lowest in the world, the Union health ministry said on Tuesday, and credited timely detection of cases, extensive contact tracing and effective clinical management for the low mortality rate.
Till date, 14,011 people have died in India due to the viral infection with 312 fatalities reported in 24 hours till Tuesday 8am, while 14,933 new instances of the disease took the total caseload to 4,40,215.
Here are the top developments:
- Nearly 3000 of the 50,000 ‘Made in India’ ventilators sanctioned under the PM CARES fund to help Covid-19 patients have been manufactured and over 1,300 have been delivered to various states, an official statement said on Tuesday.
- On May 14, the PM CARES Fund Trust had decided to allocate Rs 3,100 crore for the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic and the amount was to be used, among other things, to purchase ventilators and caring for migrant workers.
- The Indian Council of Medical Research informed that over 71 lakh Covid-19 tests were conducted by various laboratories across the country, including 1,87,223 tests on June 22. so far, 71,37,716 tests have been conducted.
- The Ayush ministry has asked yoga guru Ramdev’s Patanjali Ayurved to provide at the earliest the composition and other details of the medicine it claimed is for the treatment of Covid-19, and ordered the firm to stop advertising the product until the “issue” is examined. Patanjali Ayurved has launched the ‘˜Coronil and Swasari’ medicine with the claim that it has discovered a cure for Covid-19.
- The Centre and the CBSE informed the Supreme Court that an expert body is in the process of taking the final decision “very shortly”, hopefully by Wednesday, on whether to scrap the remaining exams of Class XII scheduled from July 1-15 in view of increasing number of Covid-19 cases.
- The government has decided that Muslims from India will not travel to Saudi Arabia for Haj 2020 after the kingdom conveyed that pilgrims should not be sent this year in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic, minority affairs minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said.
- Delhi: Chief minister Arvind Kejriwal wrote to Union home minister Amit Shah, demanding doctors and nurses from the ITBP and the Army to run a 10,000-bed Covid-19 care facility being set up in south Delhi, sources said.
- Tamil Nadu: The Covid-19 tally in Tamil Nadu mounted to 64,603 as 2,516 more people tested positive while 39 died of the disease taking the toll to 833.
- Uttarakhand: The state reported one more Covid-19 death, taking the toll to 29 as 103 new cases of the infection pushed the state’s tally to 2,505.
- Puducherry: Chief minister V Narayanasamy hit out at the Centre for allegedly declining to grant funds to the state governments and the territorial administration to meet their commitments to protect people’s health during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Karnataka: The Karnataka government announced a cap on coronavirus treatment package rates in private hospitals for those referred by public health facilities in the range of Rs 5,200 to Rs 10,000. The rate for patients who approach private hospitals directly will be in the range of Rs 10,000 to Rs 25,000.
- Meghalaya: Two more persons have tested positive for Covid-19 in Meghalaya, taking the total number of such infections in the state to 46.
- J&K: Two Covid-19 patients died in Jammu and Kashmir during the past 24 hours, taking the total number of fatalities to 87.
- West Bengal: The West Bengal government said academic activities in all state-run higher educational institutions will remain suspended till July 31 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- UP: Nineteen deaths due to the novel coronavirus and 576 cases of the disease were reported in Uttar Pradesh, raising the death toll to 588 and the case count to 18,893.
- Nagaland: The state reported 50 more Covid-19 cases, taking the state’s tally to 330.
- Mizoram: Mizoram reported no fresh case of Covid-19 and the state’s virus count remained at 142.
- Rajasthan: The state reported 199 fresh coronavirus cases, taking the state’s total number of such cases to 15,431. With no death reported in the state, the death toll due to the disease stands at 356.
- Arunachal: Nine more people tested positive for Covid-19 in Arunachal Pradesh, raising the state’s coronavirus count to 148.
- Haryana: The Haryana government will soon issue an order fixing the cost of Covid-19 treatment in private hospitals, health minister Anil Vij said. Vij said that he had discussed the modalities with senior officials of his department and a formal order would be issued soon.
- Andhra Pradesh: Eight patients died of coronavirus in the last 24 hours in Andhra Pradesh, the highest in a day, taking the toll to 119. As many as 462 fresh Covid-19 cases were reported in the state in the last 24 hours, taking the overall tally to 9,834.
- Punjab: Chief minister Amarinder Singh announced that hotels, restaurants, marriage halls and other hospitality service institutions will be allowed to operate with 50 per cent capacity in Punjab.
- Assam: Lockdown will be imposed in 11 wards of Guwahati from 9pm, untill further orders. Essential services such as grocery stores, petrol pumps, banks etc to remain functional, said the government of Assam.
- HP: Himachal Pradesh has reported 29 new Covid-19 cases, taking the total number of positive cases to 756.
- Kerala: As Kerala’s Covid-19 tally touched 3,503 with 141 positivecases being reported and the state witnessing a spike of over 100 cases for the fifth straight day, chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan said the situation was becoming “grave”.
- Ladakh: The Union Territory of Ladakh recorded 85 fresh Covid-19 cases, raising its tally to 932, while 12 patients were cured of the disease and subsequently discharged from a hospital.
- The record levels of new daily Covid-19 cases are due to the fact that the pandemic is peaking in a number of big countries at the same time and reflect a change in the virus’ global activity, the World Health Organisation said.
- The novel coronavirus has killed at least 472,173 people since the outbreak emerged in China last December. At least 9,116,250 cases of coronavirus have been registered in 196 countries and territories.
- The United States is the worst-hit country with 120,402 deaths from 2,312,302 cases. At least 640,198 people have been declared recovered.
- A Saudi official said that the hajj pilgrimage, which usually draws up to 2.5 million Muslims from all over the world, will only see at the most a few thousand pilgrims next month due to concerns over the spread of the coronavirus. The kingdom’s Hajj minister Muhammad Benten said a “small and very limited” number of people — even as low as just 1,000 from inside the kingdom — will be allowed to perform the pilgrimage to ensure social distancing and crowd control amid the global virus outbreak.
- China’s health authority reported 29 newly confirmed Covid-19 cases, including 13 in the capital Beijing where 249 virus affected people are undergoing treatment.
- A cookie factory in the UK which supplies McVities biscuits has reported coronavirus cases among five of its staff members, prompting health officials to investigate the Covid-19 infections.
- South Korea says it’s testing 176 workers at the southern port of Busan following a coronavirus outbreak among crew members of a Russian cargo ship that has so far sickened 16. South Korea reported 46 new cases of Covid-19, including 30 linked to international arrivals.
- South Africa’s coronavirus cases have surpassed 100,000 as the country makes up close to one-third of all recorded infections on the African continent. The latest daily update shows a worrying new trend as Gauteng province, home to South Africa’s economic hub of Johannesburg, has a higher number of new cases than the hotspot of Western Cape province centered on the city of Cape Town.
- The coronavirus pandemic turned grimmer in Pakistan with 105 more fatalities in the last 24 hours, taking the death toll to 3,695, while the total cases of the deadly viral infection reached 185,034.
- Nepal’s coronavirus cases topped 10,000 after the country confirmed 538 new infections. Nepal’s coronavirus tally now stands at 10,099. The country has reported 24 deaths so far.
- Singapore has reported 119 new cases of coronavirus, majority of whom are foreign workers residing in dormitories, taking the country’s overall infection to 42,432.
more from times of india news