DAILY CHECK-INS: 0/5 completed
* TimesPoints expire in 1 year from the day of credit
MUMBAI: In words that would be music to all the fans and stakeholders in Indian cricket, BCCI CEO Rahul Johri on Wednesday said that plans are on to hold IPL-13, which has been postponed indefinitely because of Covid-19, with Indian and international players post monsoon.
The BCCI is banking heavily on the International Cricket Council (ICC) postponing the T20 World Cup in Australia, scheduled to be held from October 18 to November 15.
“More people watched the IPL last year than those who voted for general elections. For sponsors, cricket is a leader and it will lead the way. The recovery will be sharper than a V-shaped recovery,” said Johri at the TCM Sports Huddle webinar.
“It will be a step-by-step process. We can’t expect normalization tomorrow,” he said. Johri did mention though, that the players’ decision to pull out would be respected.
Johri cautioned that it won’t be easy to stage the IPL even in October-November. “When flights resume, everyone has to quarantine themselves before playing. We will have to look at how that will impact the schedules, which as it is are tight. Imagine you have to factor in 14-day quarantine prior to practice also. So, there are a lot of moving parts. But we are still optimistic. Hopefully, the situation will improve after monsoon, and we will approach it then,” he said.
more from times of india Sports
- Top five batsmen with fastest fifties in T20Is20 May, 2020, 1650 hrs IST02:19
- Top five batsmen with most half-centuries in ODIs19 May, 2020, 1650 hrs IST02:19
- Lockdown 4: No word of clarity from Board of Control for Cricket in India on IPL18 May, 2020, 0921 hrs IST01:30
- When Sachin Tendulkar stumped Yuvraj Singh with this challenge16 May, 2020, 2239 hrs IST01:00
- Top five bowlers with most number of ODI hat-tricks14 May, 2020, 1915 hrs IST02:18
- When cricketers turned entertainers during the lockdown14 May, 2020, 1514 hrs IST02:08
- Instant hits: TOI’s fantasy Indian T20I XI12 May, 2020, 1641 hrs IST02:11
- Sachin Tendulkar lone Indian in Tillakaratne Dilshan’s all-time ODI XI11 May, 2020, 1628 hrs IST00:51
- Virender Sehwag shares beautiful message on Mother’s Day10 May, 2020, 1439 hrs IST02:03
- No sweat and saliva rule will load the game heavily in favour of batsmen: Varun Aaron6 May, 2020, 2057 hrs IST06:40