TIMESOFINDIA.COM | Updated: May 20, 2020, 20:11 IST
NEW DELHI: The total active number of Covid-19 cases stands at 61,149 in the country and 42,298 people have recovered, so far, according to the Union health ministry. The current recovery rate stands at 39.62 per cent while it was 7.1 per cent at the beginning of lockdown, the ministry added. The Covid-19-induced lockdown was imposed on March 25 and has now entered its fourth phase, which will end on May 31.
Here are the top developments:
- Union minister Hardeep Singh Puri announced that domestic civil aviation operations will resume in a calibrated manner from May 25 onwards. The minister said that all airports and air carriers are being informed to be ready for operations from May 25.
- Out of the total number of active Covid-19 cases in the country, 6.39 per cent needed hospital support, the Union health ministry said.
- Joint secretary in the ministry Lav Agarwal said that about 2.94 per cent of active Covid-19 cases needed oxygen support, three per cent needed intense care units and 0.45 per cent required ventilator support.
- The ministry said that 7.9 people per lakh population got affected by Covid-19 in the country.
- India has conducted over 25 lakh Covid-19 tests till 12.30 pm on Wednesday, said the ICMR. India has a total of 555 labs for Covid testing, which are currently active, of which, 391 labs come under ICMR-network and 164 are in the private sector.
- The Union Cabinet, headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, gave approval for a new central scheme with an outlay of Rs 10,000 crore for providing credit-linked subsidy to 2 lakh micro food processing units across the country.
- The Union Cabinet gave nod to launch a special liquidity scheme worth Rs 30,000 crore for stressed non-banking financial companies and housing finance companies, whose financials further deteriorated due to Covid-19 crisis.
- The MHA has granted exemptions from lockdown measures for the conduct of board examinations for classes 10 and 12, Union home minister Amit Shah said.
- The Shramik Special trains, being run to enable the return of migrant workers to their native places, will not need permission from the receiving states, according to Indian Railways officials.
- The proactive steps taken by all the northeastern states, coupled with the liberal support offered by the Centre, has helped the region cope up better with the Covid-19 pandemic compared to the rest of India, Union minister Jitendra Singh said.
- UP: With 70 fresh coronavirus cases reported in Uttar Pradesh, the Covid-19 tally reached near 5,000-mark in the state. There are a total of 4,996 Covid-19 cases in the state, of which 1,995 are active cases and 2,918 patients have been discharged after recovery.
- Maharashtra: There are a total of 37,136 number of coronavirus cases in the state with at least 1,325 fatalities.
- Delhi: The Covid-19 death toll in Delhi has climbed to 176, while 534 fresh cases of the infection, the highest single-day spike so far, took the total in the city over the 11,000-mark.
- Tripura: Four more persons tested positive for Covid-19 in Tripura, taking the total number of cases in the state to 173.
- Uttarakhand: Nine more persons tested positive for Covid-19 in Uttarakhand, taking the number of cases to 120.
- Haryana: The Haryana government took back its decision to ply inter-state buses but said its buses will continue to run within the state.
- Bihar: Bihar has reported sixty more Covid-19 cases, taking the total count of coronavirus positive cases in the state to 1,579.
- Punjab: Public bus services resumed in the state almost two months after their suspension in the wake of the Covid-19 outbreak.
- Puducherry: Three fresh cases of Covid-19 were reported, taking the total number of cases in the Union territory of Puducherry to 13, even as the government underscored the need to wear masks to contain the spread of the infection.
- Kerala: In a steep spike in the coronavirus cases in Kerala, 24 people were infected, taking the infection tally to 666.
- HP: The total number of positive cases of coronavirus in Himachal Pradesh stands at 104, including 49 active cases, 48 cured and 3 deaths.
- Goa: The Goa government said the health department had increased the bed capacity at its designated Covid-19 hospital from 60 to 170 in view of the rise in cases of novel coronavirus. Goa has witnessed a sudden spurt in Covid-19 cases, with 41 people testing positive in the state.
- J&K: A 40-year-old woman from Anantnag district who had tested positive for coronavirus died at a hospital, taking the Covid-19 related death toll in Jammu and Kashmir to 18.
- Karnataka: 67 new Covid-19 cases were reported in Karnataka in the last 24 hours, taking the total number of positive cases in the state to 1,462.
- Odisha: The state recorded another coronavirus death, taking the virus death toll in the state to six. The state also reported 74 new Covid-19 cases, taking the total number of cases to 1052.
- AP: One person died of coronavirus in Andhra Predesh, where 68 fresh cases were confirmed, taking the total number of infections in the state to 2,557.
- Rajasthan: As many as 107 new cases were reported in Rajasthan, taking the total number of cases in the state to 5,952.
- Jharkhand: The number of Covid-19 cases in Jharkhand has climbed to 248, out of which 118 cases are active.
- Chandigarh: Two residents of the Bapu Dham colony in Chandigarh have tested positive, taking the total number of Covid-19 cases in the Union territory to 202.
- Ladakh: Ladakh commissioner has declared that there are no active Covid-19 cases in the Union territory. The last two positive cases reported for Covid-19 have recovered and were discharged on May 19.
- Assam: 13 new positive cases coronavirus have been reported in Assam, taking the total number of cases to 170 in the state, including 115 active cases, 4 deaths and 48 recoveries.
- Manipur: 11 new Covid-19 positive cases have been reported in Manipur, taking the total number of cases to 20.
- Tamil Nadu: Three people died of Covid-19 while 743 tested positive in Tamil Nadu as the total cases breached the 13,000 mark, while nearly 1,000 others were discharged following recovery.
- The novel coronavirus has killed at least 323,370 people since the outbreak first emerged in China last December. At least 4,910,110 cases of coronavirus have been registered in 196 countries and territories.
- UN secretary-general Antonio Guterres has warned that the coronavirus pandemic threatens Africa’s progress and could push millions into extreme poverty. The virus is present in all African countries with most recording fewer than 1,000 cases, the UN said.
- US President Donald Trump has said it is a “badge of honour” for America to “lead” the world with 1.5 million confirmed coronavirus cases since it means the US is testing more people for the disease. The US has 1.5 million confirmed coronavirus cases and over 91,000 deaths, both the world’s highest.
- The coronavirus cases in Russia surpassed the mark of three lakh with over 8500 cases reported in last 24 hours. Russia has the second highest coronavirus count in the world after the United States.
- British PM Boris Johnson said the country will have 25,000 virus tracing staff recruited by June so the country can “make progress” in its strategy to keep easing the nationwide lockdown.
- China has reported 16 new coronavirus infections, including 15 asymptomatic cases, in the first Covid-19 epicentre Wuhan, where all the 11.2 million population is being tested for the virus.
- A 60-year-old woman legislator of the ruling Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party in Punjab province died of Covid-19, making her the first lawmaker in the country to succumb to the virus that has killed over 900 others in Pakistan. Shaheen Raza was admitted to a hospital in Lahore a few days ago.
- Nepal has reported the third death due to Covid-19 in its outer Terai region.
- Brazil’s health ministry has recommended using chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine to treat even mild and moderate cases of Covid-19, something President Jair Bolsonaro has pushed for despite a lack of conclusive evidence of their effectiveness.
more from times of india news